Friday 3 June 2011

You don't ask you don't get...

... The last three summers I have gained a work placement in a Bridal Shop called : Tiffany Couture  on the Wirral in Liscard as well as working in the owners other shop in Liverpool Old Swan called: Emma Bridal wear (Emma's).


It was a bit of a networking how I came to gain this placement. I was in my final term on my Foundation Course at Wirral Met College I'd chosen the textile pathway and my sewing machine kept jamming & breaking I got it fixed, the guy who fixed my machine was speaking to me and he told me his daughter was at university studying fashion design in manchester and she had to do a placement year and she worked in a bridal shop in Manchester (none related to either shops I am at). At the time I was applying for uni and realized that experience is valuable part of learning. The guy who fixed my machine, fixed the hoovers and machines for my boss he told me her name and worked in the same row of shops as her.


I plucked up the courage and went into the shop asked for the owner and explained I wanted to gain experience, I handed in my c.v, I didn't hear anything but persistence payed off as I then phoned up and she asked me to come in the following Saturday.


 I arrived early and I was given some stockiest brouchers to look at and was told to look at two websites and to come back the following Saturday. Unknown to me this brief chat was my informal 'interview'. That Friday evening I re watched 27 dresses, I was unsure what to expect, was excited and nervous. I arrived again early, I then was basically told to just watch & I would learn as I'd go along. I shadowed my boss. Unknown to me this was my trial shift, I chatted getting to know my boss and the business and her myself as we changed every hanger on each and every bridal gown! I was scared to lift these stunning and expensive precious gowns rather in ore of them. To think I found one gown heavy when I first started!


The first few shifts working with my boss was interesting, fun but rather hard as I had to just watch and learn and if customers asked me questions I didn't know the answers and felt silly but I was learning and fast and came up with phrases, sayings to overcome such as, "i'll just check for you".


After proving I could be trusted with cash and customers I was then left to work alone, also given a key and the responsibility to open and lock up the shop alone! It's a responsibility that I am proud of!


with love, 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment